Monday, July 24, 2006

Consequences sought for Con Ed in blackout

KAREN MATTHEWS, (AP)

NEW YORK — With thousands of city residents facing their second week without power, some political leaders turned their focus to the utility they said was at fault in the outage.

City Councilman Eric Gioia, a Queens Democrat, called for Consolidated Edison to make restitution to residents and argued that Con Ed CEO Kevin Burke should resign over his handling of the Queens blackout, which at its height affected an estimated 100,000 people.

"When the lights went out, that was just the tip of the iceberg," Gioia said. "Since then, Con Ed has misled the public about the severity of the situation, failed to grasp that we are in a crisis and shown no plan to put the power back on and ensure the health and safety of people in Queens."

Full Article

Sound familiar? Think 'Katrina'. Think slow Federal response. It's getting harder to differentiate our government from big business.


Buck