Saturday, May 27, 2006

WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND THIS MEMORIAL DAY?


I have so many things on my mind this Memorial Day weekend. For some reason, this one is so very depressing to me. I was going to post something on the history of Memorial day. But I've changed my mind.

My brother reminded me this morning of a friend of ours who died in 1988. A Viet Nam vet who struggled with strange illnesses for years until he finally parished. A great guy. Mick Bundy. R.I.P. My mind wonders to all the high school kids who have signed up and died in Iraq and Afghanastan. Kids who, like the kids who signed up for Viet Nam, either thought they were doing their patriotic duty, or thought it was a way out for them. I'm thinking about how it's the troubled, underprivledged, disadvantaged youth who, for the most part, fight our wars. It's not the Bushs, Cheneys, Rumsfelds, Rices, Hasterts, Frists......nor is it the Pelosis, Reids, Liebermans...... no....it's not their kids dying and being maimed. And I think of what awaits these men and women when they return. What we, as a country, do for them.....or don't. They say 1 in 3 homeless men are veterans. I wonder, in the long run, how many homeless Iraq and Afghanistan veterans there will be. How many more guys in wheelchairs rolling around, looking for food and shelter. Getting no respect.

So, homeless vets are what I'm going to post about. Next time you see a homeless man in a wheelchair, or not......remember.....there's a 1 in 3 chance he's a veteran. Help him. Give him the respect he so deserves and his government doesn't afford him. Let him know he's not forgotten. Let him know you are thankful. Humble yourself.....be charitable. Help him in anyway you can.

Read about homeless veterans here, here, and here, and here and here.

While I honor the men and women who have died in service to our country, my mind is on the one's that return....to poverty, poor health, and homelessness.


Question Girl