Wednesday, August 09, 2006

THE JUNKIES OF WAR

For me it was a moment of shocking revelation.I was listening to one of the daily speeches of our Prime Minister. He said: "We are a wonderful people!" He said: We have already won this war, it is the greatest victory in the history of our state. He said: We have changed the face of the Middle East. And more to that effect.

Well, I told myself, that's Olmert. I have known him since he was 20-something. At that time, I was a member of the Knesset, and Olmert was the book-carrier (literally) of another member. Since then I have followed his career. He has never been anything but a party functionary, a small-time politician special[ty] in manipulations, a run-of-the-mill demagogue. On the way he changed parties several times and served as a mayor with a grade of D minus, until he climbed on the bandwagon of Ariel Sharon. More or less by accident he was given the empty title of "Deputy Prime Minister", and when Sharon suffered his stroke, something happened that took Olmert too by surprise:
he became Prime Minister.

full article here

Uri Avnery is an Israeli writer and peace activist with Gush Shalom.



mirth